Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Citrus Churn Dash Table Quilt


Today's Mother's Day Tutorial is this cute Citrus inspired Churn Dash Table Quilt.  I made this little quilt for my mom (I hope she doesn't read my blog between now and Mother's Day!)  My mom is always asking me if I have a little quilt she can put on her table to decorate with and in my parent's backyard are lemon, orange, and lime trees - sooooo when I saw this Clementine fabric from Blend I freaked out!!

I am so in love with this fabric - I want to rip out all my kitchen decor and replace with these fabrics.  Here is a little close up of some of the prints I used in this quilt.







Let's get started - you can make this project in a few hours.
Supplies:
fat quarters of spoon print, stripe print, and small fruit print
1/4 yard large citrus print
1/4 yard for binding
3/4 yard for back
batting

Finished Quilt: 25"

Cut (2) 7 1/4" squares of the gray
Cut (2) 7 1/4" squares of the stripe
Cut (4) 3 1/2" squares of the gray
Cut (4) 3 1/2" squares of the stripe
Cut (1) 3 1/2" square of the center square, fussy cut if desired




Draw a diagonal line on the back of the 2 stripe 7 1/4" squares

Layer them right sided together and sew 1/4" along both sides of the diagonal line.  Cut on pencil line.

Press toward the dark.  These half square triangle blocks finish slightly larger than the desired 6 1/2".  This is so you can square the block up and it is nice and even.  Lay it on a rotary mat and align the diagonal with the diagonal line on the mat and cut so it measures 6 1/2" square.  Do this to each of the 4 blocks.
 

Sew the 3 1/2" squares in (4) sets like this:  Press toward the dark.

Lay out the churn dash block and sew together in rows.  Press seams.




Now all that's left is to sew the boarders on.  Cut the small fruit into 2" strips.  Sew sides, then press, then sew top and bottom.  You don't need to measure on this part.  Use the block as your guide.


The large citrus print is cut in 4" strips.  Sew those on in the same manner as the small fruit strips.


Quilt as desired and bind.



 I love it!!!!!




Amanda

1 comment:

  1. beautiful idea for a little quilt! love those fabrics, happy Mother's Day to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete