Friday, May 11, 2012

3rd Grade Mother's Day Craft

I needed a quick & low-cost Mother's Day craft for 3rd grade.  Here is what I came up with.  It was fun & crazy at the same time.  I forget how long it takes younger people to craft - but everyone finished their project.



To make these pom pom pens & holder you need:
fabric 2.5" x 20"
fabric 1" x12"
ballpoint pens
can without a sharp edge
scrapbook paper
glue & hot glue


There are many ways to make a fabric pom poms - I have seen many tutorials.  This is what I came up with.  I think if I was making it myself I would have sewed them.  It's too hard to sew with 46 3rd graders!  So glue it is!  Take your 2.5" piece of fabric and snip it almost all the way through - making a sort of fringe.









Next, run a bead of glue along the bottom of the fringe.  I glued this one to the wrong side.  Glue it to the "right side" of fabric.  Then start rolling up your fringe into a tight tube.

When you are done the pom pom should look like this.  Next take your 1" piece of fabric and wrap it around the pen, gluing to secure.

Don't they look cute?


All we did to make the "Pencil Holder" was glue a strip of scrapbook paper around the can.  Of course you can get super cute with die cuts, vinyl, ribbon, buttons, and ric rac - but we are keeping it simple for 3rd graders!!!


Next we needed to wrap the gift.  Wrapping 46 gifts can add up - so I went the brown paper bag route!  I bought doilies and cut them in half.  The learners glued the doily to the front, placed the gift inside & wrapped the outside with variegated pink cotton yarn!  Done!



I was exhausted when I came home from making this craft at school.  I don't know how teachers do it.  They are amazing people!!


1 comment: